This post may contain affiliate links meaning that at no cost to you I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase using my link. I thank you for your support! Please read my DISCLOSURE for more info.
Did you know that science agrees that our beliefs, thoughts, actions, and mood hugely affect our general health and wellness? (1) If a positive mindset can help our health and wellness in general, can it really help with weight loss? Can we make the logical conclusion that you can help yourself meet your weight loss goals by building a positive mindset? Let’s have a closer look at how positive thinking can lead to weight loss success.
Positive Thinking and Weight Loss Success
Setting your mind for success is the Number 1 thing that any entrepreneur or a business coach will tell you that you need to have in order to succeed. This is no different when you start your weight loss journey.
The truth is, when we are continually feeling depressed and sad about the way we look, it’s no big surprise that we cannot lose weight. Negative thinking will actually lead to sugar cravings and overeating. This is how our hormones work.
On the contrary, positive thinking can help you boost your motivation and energy levels. Believing in your own abilities and success will help you to get out of your bed and exercise even on those rainy days.
And, as a consequence, you are far more likely to be willing to reach your weight loss goals and be determined when it comes to having a healthy diet and doing exercise.
Positive Thinking, Stress and Weight Loss
We are all familiar with the fact that negative thinking and stress go together. And, unfortunately, stress can make losing weight quite tricky. Some people seem to actually lose weight due to stress. However, the weight loss due to stress is not healthy (more on that below).
Having said that, practicing positive thinking combined with a healthy diet and exercise can help to reduce your stress levels. And, as a consequence, you will immediately be more likely to lose weight. Just find your favourite way to manage stress, and you’ll reach your goals quickly. For example, you can try walking, doing yoga, meditation, listening to music, dancing, etc.
On the other hand, stress can cause us to lose weight in a not-controlled way which is also not a good thing either.
What do I mean by that?
Positive Thinking and Setting Manageable Weight Loss Goals
It is quite easy and common to start thinking in a negative way when you don’t reach your goals. However, this is usually a result of setting highly unreasonable and unrealistic goals and expectations. Imagine you want to lose 5 pounds, and you only give yourself 2 days. Even if you manage to do that, it is not healthy!
So, if you want to increase your chances of reaching your weight loss goals, you should set achievable goals. You can also divide those goals into smaller targets and take a step-by-step approach. For example, aim to lose one to two pounds a week and then set your monthly goals accordingly.
5 Strategies for Cultivating a Positive Mindset
That is, it doesn’t really matter if you claim that you practice positive thinking. What truly matters is that you believe it deep down in yourself. That said, you can quickly embrace a positive mindset by practicing some of the following simple strategies:
- Keep inspiring images, affirmations, quotes, and goals somewhere you can see them every day to remind you to adopt a positive mindset. I used to have a photo of a fitness model on my fridge, and I would see it every time I reach for anything there 🙂
- Be mindful and appreciate even the smallest positive things and joys. Don’t just wait for something huge to happen. Instead, celebrate small joys and wins and give yourself the credit you deserve. I like to shop so I would celebrate going shopping and getting something new once in a while. (I share my favourite finds on my LikeToKnow.it page and on Instagram. Are we friends there yet?)
- Make notes of at least three good things that happen to you every day. Even better, choose the things that you had an active role in controlling. By doing so, you will teach your brain to focus on all the little things we usually ignore. It works 😉
- Say No to negative thoughts and self-criticism. Whenever you realize you are being hard on yourself, try repeating some positive affirmations to ditch the unhelpful negative thoughts. No one is perfect and we don’t have to be perfect. Embrace your imperfections and simply enjoy the learning curve.
- Visualize the best possible version of yourself in one, five, or 10 years. Such mental imagery will help you determine what’s most important in your life and will inspire you to reach your goals.
Affirmations for Weight Loss
Affirmations are one of the most powerful tools for embracing and initiating change. Just right them down on your phone or your journal and read them every day in the morning and before going to bed until you remember them by heart. You can use affirmations daily to help you think positively and aim towards your weight loss goals.
Here is an example of a few most effective weight loss affirmations:
- I am enjoying optimal physical, spiritual, mental and emotional health and I am in control of it.
- Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels.
- I am healthy and strong, filled with energy and vitality.
- My fitness routine is enjoyable, energetic and comfortable.
- I love working out because it makes me happier and healthier.
Best Positive Thinking Quotes for Weight Loss Success
Last but not least, you can find motivation and inspiration to meet your weight loss goals by reading some quotes by famous people on the power of positive thinking.
- The mind is everything. What you think you become. –Buddha
- Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. –Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any. –Alice Walker
- If you can dream it, you can achieve it. –Zig Ziglar
- The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his future by merely changing his attitude. –Oprah Winfrey
I love finding motivational quotes and share them on my Instagram too. I’ll be happy if you follow me there for a share of positive thinking for weight loss, positive body image and motivation!
I am a huge believer in the Law of Attraction as well. I have tried a few tools and found them very helpful (will be sharing those soon). Don’t want to miss them?
Now that you know all about the power of positive thinking and weight loss success, it’s the perfect time to start believing that you can change, adopt a positive mindset and reach your weight loss goals. Looking for an accountability buddy or a coach? Just shoot me a DM and let’s chat on how to make your journey to an even better you more enjoyable 🙂
More from my blog: